While Butler’s two stories definitely have unique styles of writing, however I believe they are a lot less similar than I expected as they are both from the same author. I enjoyed Snow quite a bit more than The Trip Back. The ending of The Trip Back was especially confusing and the entire time the character is looking for validation, he even begins the story warning the reader that he is not a poet. Perhaps this warning is to lower the expectations of the reader so that his narration seems better than expected. I found it to be a somewhat depressing story and it was hard to follow at the end when he was just continuously looking for validation.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed Snow. I noticed right away the lovely imagery and metaphors. Some of this imagery is evident in the beginning of the story when she is describing seeing Mr. Cohen for the first time, “its curve was like a sampan sail and it held my eyes the way a sail always did when I saw one on the sea.” There is a familiarity with the description that I loved because it was almost as if the narrator had known him for a while and I first thought that she was waking up in bed next to him. The beautiful imagery continues throughout the story and it all adds to the characterization of these two individuals that meet in a Chinese restaurant. There isn’t anything extraordinary about their lives, but the simple moment of them meeting a couple of times is so unique and even awkward because the narrator thinks Mr. Cohen has someone in his life romantically by looking at his amount of food. I love that. Furthermore, in the end they don’t have a perfect definite ending but it is full of possibility since the narrator finds out that Mr. Cohen isn’t with anyone. I also enjoy how they learn about each other and most of the things they talk about because of the snow. They both dislike the snow (come on, who hates snow?) and it brings them together through these deep stories as to why they hate it, both related to snow: the narrator’s more abstractly and Mr. Cohen’s more personal. Interestingly, it isn’t the basis of their entire attraction, in fact the narrator isn’t shocked by any of the sorrow that Mr. Cohen has faced. I did enjoy this story and I was struck continuously by wonderful imagery that Butler used to perfect the characterization in this short story.