I could melt

(Get it, cause melted cheese sandwiches?) But really. I could have melted while reading “The Most Girl Part of You” by Amy Hempel. If we’re going to talk about love stories, this is certainly one. No doubt about it. There’s suffering and sadness and warm gooey romance. There’s the happily ever after every “girl part” of us has been hoping to find in this class. Every mushy wish came true here. There’s the narrator who’s normal-and-exactly-like-you and then there’s Big Guy who’s troubled and therefore all the more dreamy (to the narrator, at least). Their relationship isn’t perfect so this isn’t a fairytale and thank goodness, but gosh this is beautiful. Big Guy is weird and strange and I wouldn’t necessarily want to be best friends with him but she loves him and that’s great because love may very well be one of the greatest things we get to experience in life. Our narrator offers some courageous advice in the statement, “And I see that not touching for so long was a drive to the beach with the Windows rolled up so the waves feel that much colder.” The irony here seems to be that just as the relationship starts to heat up Hempel calls it “colder.”

I play back everything that has happened to me before this. I want to ask Big Guy if he is doing this, too. I want him to know what it clearly seems to me: that if it’s true your life flashes past your eyes before you die, then it is also the truth that your life rushes forth when you are ready to start to truly be alive.

“The Most Girl Part of You” plays to our soft spots and Hempel knows it and uses it and doesn’t let us down with it. Neither one of these characters is perfect, and their ever after might not always be happy, but in the now, the childlike princess in me is thrilled that love stories like this do exist.

One Response to “I could melt”

1. haes16 says:

I completely agree with you! This was well stated, and fun to read.